Incomplete Grade Request

Requests for Incomplete Grades

The Office of Student Assistance and Support Services provides advocacy and assistance for students who experience documented medical, psychological, personal crisis, or military circumstances that negatively impact academic coursework for the current term. A student may request that the Office of Student Assistance and Support Services advocate for the assignment of Incomplete grades for coursework by verifying such documented concerns. While SASS may advocate for an Incomplete through verification, students are responsible for speaking to faculty members directly regarding their request that an Incomplete be assigned in a particular course. 

The University has developed a policy regarding Incompletes, which can be found under UNC Charlotte Academic Policy and Procedure: Grading.

The Office of Student Assistance and Support Services can meet with students to discuss when it may be appropriate for a student to request an Incomplete. If you are considering making this request, here are some important things to keep in mind:

  • Assigning an Incomplete is at the discretion of the instructor
  • Incompletes are typically utilized when a student has not completed all the work in a course due to circumstances beyond their control
  • Requests for Incompletes are not considered prior to the 60% completion mark in a given term
  • The student must be in good standing (passing) in the course at the time of the request
  • If an Incomplete is assigned, missing work must be completed by the deadline specified by the instructor, and cannot exceed a period of 12 months
  • The agreed upon terms of an Incomplete should be recorded via a written contract between the student and instructor and both parties should retain a copy for their records

While a student can work directly with their instructor(s) to request an Incomplete, the Office of Student Assistance and Support Services can assist in advocating on a student’s behalf by verifying the circumstances at hand. If a student chooses to utilize the Office of Student Assistance and Support Services, documentation must be submitted to the office in order to verify the circumstance, take action, and advocate on behalf of a student. Our office may take steps to call medical providers or other entities to validate any documentation submitted. Submission of falsified documentation by a student may result in charges under the Code of Student Responsibility.

Submitting Your Request for Assistance

In order to process your request for assistance, please complete the online Incomplete Assistance Request Form. You only need to submit ONE form in a given term, as you can indicate on the form if you are requesting Incompletes in more than one course for that term. Original documentation can be attached to your request form or submitted to the Office of Student Assistance and Support Services for formal verification. If you are unable to attach your documentation to the online request form at the time of submission, documentation may be provided in the following ways:

  • Fax: 704-687-1969
  • Email:
  • Submit in Person: King 118
  • Mail: Office of Student Assistance and Support Services, King 118, 9201 University City Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28223

Submission of documentation without completing the online Incomplete Assistance Request Form will not be processed.

Requests for assistance with Incompletes for the Spring 2020 term will be accepted beginning on Tuesday, March 17, 2020. The deadline to submit requests for assistance, including supporting documentation will be Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 5pm. The online request form link will be active on this page starting on Tuesday, March 17.