Short-Term Emergency Housing Program (STEHP)
The Short-Term Emergency Housing program (STEHP) is a collaboration between the Office of Student Assistance and Support Services and University Housing and Residence Life. SEHP seeks to assist students with temporary on-campus housing who have been unexpectedly displaced from their home, apartment, etc., or have experienced a crisis that has caused a significant change in a students’ housing status. The STEHP is not a substitute for long-term student housing needs.
- Must be an enrolled undergraduate or graduate UNC Charlotte student in a degree seeking program
- Demonstrate in good faith that the student has exhausted all financial aid options
- Student has experienced an emergency or crisis that has caused them to be displaced. This may include, but is not limited, to the following: house/apartment fire or flooding, sleeping in a car or any place that is not a residence, sleeping on a friend’s couch, having to move out of your current residence with no place to live, temporarily staying with family or friends, etc. The specific situation will be discussed with a professional staff member on a case-by-case basis.
- Student must be able to demonstrate their unexpected emergency or crisis. Supporting documentation of the emergency or crisis will be required.
- Student has the financial ability to pay the $25 per night housing charge. Students who do not have the ability to pay the $25 per night housing cost are not eligible for the SEHP.
**Note: Eligibility for participation in the STEHP will be determined by staff in the Office of Student Assistance and Support Services. Students who are approved to stay in the short-term emergency housing must abide by all University and Housing and Residence Life rules and regulations. Students will not be permitted to have pets in emergency housing. Students are responsible for making necessary arrangements if they are a pet owner. Any violation of University or Housing rules will result in a referral to the Office of Student Conduct or removal from University Housing and Residence Life.
- $25 per night
- If a student damages the space, they will be responsible for any additional fees or charges incurred.
**Note: A student without a purchased parking permit will need to contact Parking and Transportation Services at 704-687-0161 about purchasing a parking permit at the cost of $8.00 per day. Students will be responsible for all associated cost/fines for not following established parking guidelines and parking in prohibited parking lots at UNC Charlotte.
Length of Stay:
- Students will be permitted to stay in Short-Term Emergency Housing up to 60 days
- Pets are not allowed