Welcome Parents and Family Members to Student Assistance and Support Services!
Student Assistance and Support Services (SASS) greatly value and believe a strong partnership with Parents and Family Members is important. Parents and Family Members needing information or guidance regarding an issue/concern or seeking help on behalf of their student(s) are encouraged to reach out to SASS. In order for staff to speak to parent/guardians regarding student(s) issues or concerns, we must have an FERPA waiver on file.
Please find below a list of support services offered by SASS:
- Assistance with verification of absences for documented situations related to medical, psychological, personal crisis, or military absences.
Note: The authority to excuse a student’s class absence(s) and to grant a student an academic accommodation (turn in a late assignment(s), provide extra time on an assignment, reschedule an exam(s) etc.) sits with the individual instructor. The Dean of Students Office can assist by verifying a student class absence(s) and notifying faculty of the reason(s)/circumstances that lead to the student absence(s) from class. Individual instructors are encouraged to work directly with students regarding their absence(s).
- Ombuds Assistance: SASS staff can meet one-on-one with students to discuss broad issues or concerns ranging from understanding of academic and non-academic university policies and procedures, withdrawing due to extenuating circumstances, academic suspension appeal, academic integrity process, final grade appeal etc.
- Provide faculty with an emergency notification regarding a student’s hospitalization or serious accident.
- Provide assistance and support for students impacted by interpersonal violence or abuse.
- One-on-One meetings with students seeking a withdrawal (medical or non-medical) due to extenuating circumstances.
Note: For additional information about the withdrawal process and requirements, please go to the following website link at withdrawal.uncc.edu.
- Care and Concern Support Services is designed to help manage students in crisis/distress. SASS staff can reach out to the student to schedule a care and concern meeting to identify issues of concern, discuss campus support services, assist students in the development of a plan of action to address their issues/concerns, and follow up with students when needed to maximize student retention and success at UNC Charlotte.
To speak with a SASS staff member, please call 704-687-0289.