Welcome to Student Assistance and Support Services!
SASS staff is available to help faculty and staff who are unsure of how to assist or advise a student in need or concerned about a students behavior.
SASS staff can provide the following assistance and support services and presentations to faculty and staff:
- Assistance with verification of absences for documented situations related to medical, psychological, personal crisis, or military absences.
Note: The authority to excuse a student’s class absence(s) and to grant a student an academic accommodation (turn in a late assignment(s), provide extra time on an assignment, reschedule an exam(s) etc.) sits with the individual instructor. The Dean of Students Office can assist by verifying a student class absence(s) and notifying faculty of the reason(s)/circumstances that lead to the student absence(s) from class. Individual instructors are encouraged to work directly with students regarding their absence(s).
Provide consultation, support and/or guidance to faculty/staff regarding a student of concern, or disruptive student behavior in the classroom.
Ombuds Assistance: SASS staff can meet one-on-one with students to discuss broad issues or concerns ranging from understanding of academic and non-academic university policies and procedures, withdrawing due to extenuating circumstances, academic suspension appeal, academic integrity process, final grade appeal etc.
Provide faculty with an emergency notification regarding a student’s hospitalization or serious accident.
Provide assistance and support for students impacted by interpersonal violence or abuse.
One-on-One meetings with students seeking a withdrawal (medical or non-medical) due to extenuating circumstances. Note: For additional information about the withdrawal process and requirements, please go to the following website at withdrawal.uncc.edu link.
Care and Concern Support Services is designed to help manage students in crisis/distress. SASS staff can reach out to the student to schedule a care and concern meeting to identify issues of concern, discuss campus support services, assist students in the development of a plan of action to address their issues/concerns, and follow up with students when needed to maximize student retention and success at UNC Charlotte.
Note: Faculty is strongly encouraged to submit an incident report of a student issue or concern they have through the incidentreport.uncc.edu link.
SASS staff is available to provide the following presentations to faculty and staff upon request:
- SASS Overview (45 minutes): This presentation allows an opportunity to meet and interact with SASS staff, ask questions or discuss issues/ concerns or disruptive classroom behavior involving students and to learn about services offered.
- Campus Behavioral Intervention Team (CBIT): This presentation provides an overview of CBIT, the purpose, its members, and what happens when an incident report is submitted regarding a student of concern.
- Withdrawing Due to Extenuating Circumstance Process (30 minutes)
- Identifying and Supporting Students in Crisis or Distress (1 hour)
- Managing Disruptive Student(s) in the Classroom (1 hour)
To contact a member of the Student Assistance and Support Services team please call 704-687-0289.